Wednesday, August 18, 2010

TOTALLY TOP SECRET: New photo/video series: "Tik Tok"


Tik Tok was conceived of not too long after Conversations With Dan McNulty in Jersey City.

The long title of this project would be:

Tik-Tok; Patent Double-Action, Extra-Responsive, Thought-Creating, Perfect-Talking | M E C H A N I C A L M A N | Fitted with our Special Clock-Work Attachment. Thinks, Speaks, Acts, and Does Everything But Live.

The honest truth: living as a photographer has not helped me any more or any less at dealing with major life changing experiences. In fact, the very act of photographing something removes the photographer from being in completely direct contact with the subject. I started to photograph and create images after my father died in 2002. Most of my work was a direct response to this event, and things surrounding studies of death and bereavement. I did not know it then, but retrospectively I would feel that my images were a facade of a past that never really existed. The real moment in time had already gone, and I could not ever get that picture. Until now.



The images will be either silver gelatin prints or c-prints (haven't decided that either), framed 16x20. The videos will be housed behind the wall of each photograph, each set of photos and videos will be housed in it's own coffin-like wooden wall structure.






The Room






Dancing in Reflections



The black and white photographs are meant to be read as 'titles' for the triptych videos posted below them. At this point, I am still not sure whether the titles
The Room andDancing in Reflections will be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment